Here are Rand Paul’s top five issues from the interview he did on the Dennis Miller Show last week:
- Deficit is a big issue. Need a balanced budget amendment.
- We need term limits. They [politicians] go and stay too long and they become corrupted by the system.
- I think they should read the bill before they vote on them. They should wait one day for every 20 pages and that will keep them busy for a while.
- Every bill should point to where in the Constitution they get the authority for the bill.
- They shouldn’t pass any laws that they exempt themselves from.
I’m not sure I care much about #1. I think it can have some bad unintended consequences. For example, tax cuts are passed with a sunset date because of the current balanced budget rules. I think this is bad because it just loads the hopper for political power. “You want me to vote to extend your tax cut, then sign my bill.”
#2 sounds good, but I’m not sure that will solve many problems.
I do like #3 through #5.